A glass of cold water with lime. A steep waterfall. A luxuriously scented bubble bath. Water is all around us. It can help to calm and to clear our minds, relieving stress and anxiety. Ancient peoples have looked at water as a powerful source of birth and renewal. It’s no wonder it’s the one vital thing we need to survive. As we begin a new year, one full of new energy and possiblity, we can invoke the ancient healing power of water to be happier.
Marine biologist Wallace J. Nichols wrote about the transcendental effects of water in his book, Blue Mind: The surprising Science That Shows How Being Near, In, On or Under Water Can Make you Happier, Healthier, More Connected, and Better at What you Do (Little, Brown and Company, 2014). In it he combines scientific explanations with personal stories of people who have experienced life-altering changes from being near or in water.
Here are 17 ways you can surround yourself with water. So, go ahead and take a plunge, a toe dip, a boat ride or a chic beach vacation and feel happier.
- Drink cold water from a carafe
- Sing in the rain
- Swim in an infinity pool
- Catch a wave
- Water a plant
- Bathe in scented oil (try Floating Island Luxury Bath Oil by Lush Cosmetics)
- Bathe in sea salt (try Calm Dead Sea Bath Salts by Margaret Elizabeth)
- Watch fish swim in an aquatic tank
- Stand in a waterfall
- Wash your hands (try Shea butter Liquid Soap-Verbena by L’Occitane)
- Take a hot shower
- Get a pedicure (for added benefit, try a variation with milk and honey or chocolate)
- Shampoo your hair (anything with lavender, mint or honey)
- Plug in a tabletop fountain
- Relax near a public fountain
- Take a cruise
- Have tea (try the many flavors of Numi Organic Tea)